Fact SheetHilton History
Read the news
By Property TypeBy Topic
Get the facts
Hilton HuanyingHilton Blue Papers and Research
- Photos & videos
Let us help you
Media Accommodation Request FormContact Us
Jacqueline ToppingsCONTACTMedia Inquiries ADDRESS7930 Jones Branch Drive
Brand Public Relations,
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
McLean, Virginia 22102
Hilton Worldwide To Reach 100 Hotel Milestone In Canada
Cross-Country Expansion Fueled by Dual-branded Hotel Trend in Halifax, Calgary and Edmonton
May 06, 2014
MCLEAN, Va. - Continuing to enhance its longstanding presence and expanding portfolio in Canada, Hilton Worldwide today announced it is approaching the 100 hotel milestone in Canada with the upcoming opening of a dual-branded Hampton Inn by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia property, owned by Canada-based SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts. Six of Hilton Worldwide's brands currently have properties in Canada, with Home2Suites by Hilton debuting in the market later this year.
The first hotel within the project, the 135-room Homewood Suites Halifax-Downtown, is slated to open in mid-May, while the 181-room Hampton Inn by Hilton will follow with an opening in June.
Ian Carter, president - global development, Hilton Worldwide, said, "This milestone solidifies our commitment to growing our portfolio of brands in Canada and highlights the lodging sector's momentous growth in this country. It's also been an ongoing effort of ours to explore development opportunities and deepen our roots in Canada by welcoming additional Hilton Worldwide properties in key cities across the country, much like this project in Halifax."
Hilton Worldwide's rich legacy in Canada dates back to the opening of its first hotel, the 419 room Hilton Suites Toronto Airport, Ontario, in 1971. Today, the global hospitality company operates hotels coast-to-coast in urban and suburban markets, supplying nearly 16,000 rooms across six brands: Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton Embassy Suites Hotels, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Hotels and Homewood Suites by Hilton. Additionally, the country's first Home2 Suites by Hilton is set to open in July of 2014 in West Edmonton.
"Canada is a strategic market for Hilton Worldwide as it continues to attract a significant number of both domestic travelers and international visitors," added Carter. "With the uptick of international travelers visiting Canada for both business and leisure travel, we are focused on developing best-in-class hotels across the country with great partners like SilverBirch."
With more than 40 hotels currently in the development pipeline and nearly 40 percent of those under construction, Hilton Worldwide will further bolster Canada's tourism industry with the following upcoming openings:
- Dual-branded project from SilverBirch, a DoubleTree by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton in West Edmonton, Alberta. The 127-suite Home2 Suites by Hilton is set to open in July of this year and represents the brand's first hotel in Canada. It will join the recently opened 235-guestroom DoubleTree by Hilton which opened in January.
- Hilton Calgary Airport, to open in 2017, will complete the company's first multi-flag complex featuring three brands, joining the recently opened Hampton Inn by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton, owned by Prestige Hospitality.
- Hampton Inn by Hilton Saskatoon South Saskatchewan, owned and operated by VJ Management, is a 100-room hotel set to open in June 2014.
- Hampton Inn and Suites Markham, owned and operated by JM Hospitality, Inc., features 99 rooms and is set to open July 2014. The hotel will be adjacent to JM Hospitality's current 101-suite Homewood Suites by Hilton, which opened in 2007.
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Saskatoon Airport, owned by Randhawa Group, will open in Nov. 2014 and feature 132 rooms.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Ajax, Ontario, featuring 104 suites is slated to open in May 2014 and is owned by Wella Investments Inc.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Waterloo/St. Jacobs, Ontario, featuring 97 suites is scheduled to open in June 2014 and is owned by Benjamin Hotel Inc.
The dual-branded Homewood Suites by Hilton and Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown located at 1960 Brunswick Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, will reflect signature amenities of both brands, while offering guests several combined public spaces, including a shared conference center, fitness center, retail space and parking. The Homewood Suites by Hilton will offer guests complimentary internet, daily full-hot breakfast and evening dinner and drinks Monday through Thursday*. In addition, each suite will boast fully equipped kitchens, separate sleeping and living spaces, a complimentary grocery shopping service** and recreational options to stay active. Guests at the Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton will experience free, hot breakfast, complimentary Wi-Fi and a Clean and Fresh Hampton bed® in each guestroom.
Additionally, Canada has seen several key openings for Hilton Worldwide, including the recently opened 486-room DoubleTree by Hilton Toronto Downtown, owned and operated by Ontario-based Bayview Hospitality Inc.
For more information about developing a Hilton Worldwide hotel, visit www.hiltonworldwide.com/development/.
+1 602 870 2721
+1 901 374 5954
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company, with a portfolio of 14 world-class brands comprising more than 5,100 properties with nearly 838,000 rooms in 103 countries and territories. Hilton is dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company by delivering exceptional experiences – every hotel, every guest, every time. The company's portfolio includes Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Curio Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages an award-winning customer loyalty program, Hilton Honors. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose exactly how many Points to combine with money, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else and free standard Wi-Fi. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.