Fact SheetHilton History
Read the news
By Property TypeBy Topic
Get the facts
Hilton HuanyingHilton Blue Papers and Research
- Photos & videos
Let us help you
Media Accommodation Request FormContact Us
Jacqueline ToppingsCONTACTMedia Inquiries ADDRESS7930 Jones Branch Drive
Brand Public Relations,
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
McLean, Virginia 22102
Hilton Petaling Jaya Lends Support To WWF Earth Hour
March 23, 2009
JAYA, Malaysia - Hilton Petaling Jaya today announced that the hotel will be joining 16 other Hilton hotels in the Asia region in committing to the World Wide Fund for Nature’s (WWF) Earth Hour initiative this March for the first time.
WWF Earth Hour is a global initiative, which hopes to eventually reach out to more than one billion people, asking individuals, businesses and Governments to switch off their lights for just one hour on Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 8:30pm. This symbolic gesture is designed to highlight the importance of action on climate change.
Andy Ridley, Global Director of Earth Hour for the WWF said: “The business community has an incredible ability and responsibility to engage employees, customers and suppliers to create a sustainable future for our planet, and we therefore welcome the involvement of major international businesses such as Hilton Hotels in Earth Hour.”
To support this important initiative, Hilton Petaling Jaya has developed a series of activities to provide a wonderful opportunity for engagement between guests and hotel staff on March 28 such as:
• Turning off signage lights, exterior lights and all non-essential operational lights.
• Reduce lighting in the lobby, corridors, back of house and service areas.
• Guests will be advised of the hotel’s support of Earth Hour and encouraged to assist by limiting the lightings in their rooms, where safe.
• The lights in the hotel’s Food & Beverage outlets namely Genji Japanese Restaurant, Paya Serai and Toh Yuen Chinese Restaurant will be dimmed and candles will be used. In addition, Toh Yuen Chinese Restaurant and Pool Side will offer a 5-course candle lit dinner with a menu using entirely local produce to support reducing carbon footprint.
Speaking about the hotel’s support of Earth Hour, Luc Bollen, General Manager of Hilton Petaling Jaya said: “At Hilton Petaling Jaya we are committed to contribute and support the community in which we operate. We hope that our support of Earth Hour will promote awareness amongst our team members and guests on the importance of improving our environmental practices. We believe that conserving planet earth is an on going effort and should be instilled as part of our daily life.
Hilton Petaling Jaya since 2007 has converted to the use of natural gas for three main energy-guzzling facilities in the hotel building, namely the air conditioning chillers, steam/hot-water boilers and in the kitchens. Besides, the hotel has adopted 16 artificial reefs in Pulau Tioman since 2005.
Hilton is committed to constantly working to improve its environmental performance and was one of the founding members of the International Tourism Partnership (www.tourismpartnership.org). This organization is designed to bring together leaders of some of the largest travel and tourism companies to work through collective, industry-wide action at local, destination and country level to encourage real progress towards a more sustainable hotel, travel and tourism industry.
The support of Earth Hour by Hilton Petaling Jaya and other Hilton Hotels in Asia is in addition to support given by the hotel group in Europe and the US.
Hilton’s Environmental Policy
The Hilton Family of Hotels recognizes our environmental responsibility and is committed to improving our performance towards a sustainable future – all while enhancing the guest and team member experience. To ensure sustainable business practices in the countries in which we operate, Hilton will:
• Embrace an environmental mission and strategy that encompasses each and every team member
• Focus upon key environmental commitments: Energy efficiency, CO2 reduction, water efficiency, waste reduction, renewable energy, and sustainable buildings and operations which include building design and construction, hotel and corporate operations, chemical management and purchasing
• Ensure that environmentally friendly initiatives and tactics will positively impact the guest experience
• Set targets, measure, benchmark, and continually improve our performance
• Liaise with our suppliers and business partners to improve their environmental performance
• Influence land use in harmony with nature and construction by promoting the use of established environmental best practices
• Support environmental initiatives within the local community
• Communicate our environmental achievement to our team members and guests
• Publish our performance against our established goals
About Earth Hour
On Saturday, March 28th, 2009 at 8:30 PM, people around the world will turn off their lights for one hour, Earth Hour, to show how by working together they can make a difference in the fight against climate change. Already over 1,300 cities and towns in 80 countries have committed to switch off their lights for Earth Hour, a symbolic event which is the highlight of a major campaign to encourage individuals, businesses and communities to take action to cut their emissions on an ongoing basis. Earth Hour, led by world’s largest and most experienced independent conservation organization, WWF, aims to reach 1 billion people to illustrate the world communities’ support for action on climate change.
Cindy Wong, Marketing Communications Manager
HP:012 207 8071
Tel: 03-7951 5776
About Hilton Hotels & Resorts
For nearly a century, Hilton Hotels & Resorts has been proudly welcoming the world's travelers. With more than 570 hotels across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts provides the foundation for memorable travel experiences and values every guest who walks through its doors. As the flagship brand of Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts continues to set the standard for hospitality, providing new product innovations and services to meet guests' evolving needs. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is a part of the award-winning Hilton Honors program. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, free standard Wi-Fi and digital amenities like digital check-in with room selection and Digital Key (select locations), available exclusively through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Begin your journey at www.hilton.com and learn more about the brand by visiting news.hilton.com or following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.