Fact SheetHilton History
Read the news
By Property TypeBy Topic
Get the facts
Hilton HuanyingHilton Blue Papers and Research
- Photos & videos
Let us help you
Media Accommodation Request FormContact Us
Jacqueline ToppingsCONTACTMedia Inquiries ADDRESS7930 Jones Branch Drive
Brand Public Relations,
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
McLean, Virginia 22102
Hilton New York Commemorates 40th Anniversary Of Earth Day By Participating In Various Eco-Friendly Events Across NYC
Manhattan’s Largest Hotel Joins Global Green Movement to Educate New Yorkers About Its Sustainability Initiatives And Efforts Preserving The City’s Environment
April 21, 2010
NEW YORK - Hilton New York is pleased to announce its sponsorship of EDAY 40TM as part of the hotel's ongoing commitment to environmental sustainability. As the largest hotel in New York City, Hilton's participation in this week-long series of events - a project of Earth Day New York - underpins the property's commitment to being an environmentally conscious neighbor in New York City.
Participation in EDAY 40TM builds on Hilton New York's strong track record of environmental stewardship:
• Hilton New York is currently the only hotel in Manhattan to utilize revolutionary UTC Power fuel cell technology, which is a cleaner method of providing electric power and hot water to the property's 1,980 rooms than more traditional combustion systems.
• In an effort to reduce landfill waste, Hilton New York uses a state-of-the-art organic waste decomposition system that can break down up to 1,200 pounds of wet garbage per day.
• Guest room key cards are biodegradable, and water served in the hotel's restaurants and through in-room dining is purified on-site using a Natura® purification system.
• Along with other properties within Hilton Worldwide's portfolio of brands, Hilton New York tracks and analyzes its sustainability performance through a sophisticated sustainability measurement system called "LightStay."
In conjunction with its sponsorship of EDAY 40TM, the hotel and its team members will participate in the following events and activities:
• Fri., April 23 and Sat., April 24: Hilton New York will join fellow sponsors, businesses, and organic food and environmental groups at EarthFair, a two-day festival on Vanderbilt Avenue adjacent to Grand Central Terminal. Visitors to the hotel's exhibit booth will receive an eco-friendly, reusable shopping bag and have an opportunity to learn more about what Hilton New York is doing to reduce its environmental footprint.
• Sat., May 1: Hilton New York team members and their families will participate in an Earth Day "Tree Planting" on Randall's Island. The group will join representatives from MillionTreesNYC and the Randall's Island Sports Foundation in an event aimed at supporting both the environment and the local athletic community.
The 1,980-room Hilton New York, located in the heart of midtown Manhattan on Avenue of the Americas between West 53rd and West 54th streets, is a sophisticated international hotel that appeals to both savvy business and leisure travelers. The hotel is within a short walking distance of Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, the Museum of Modern Art and Carnegie Hall, and is just a few blocks away from Times Square, Broadway theaters and the renowned Fifth Avenue shopping district. Hilton New York features extensive facilities that can accommodate large conferences and conventions, smaller meetings and elegant banquets. For more information and details about Hilton New York's sustainability efforts, please visit the hotel's website at www.hiltonnewyorkhotel.com.
About Earth Day New York
Earth Day New York (EDNY) was founded in late 1989 by a broad coalition of environmental groups to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Earth Day in New York City. In 1990, Earth Day New York mobilized two million people to attend Earth Day's 20th Anniversary events - the Earth Rising Ceremony in Times Square, the Environmental Exposition and Cultural Festival on Sixth Avenue and a major concert in Central Park featuring the B‐52s, speeches by Governor Cuomo and Mayor Dinkins among many others. For the 25th Anniversary in 1995, the group organized diverse arts and educational events including The Parade for the Planet, The Giant Earth Projections and an International Poster Exhibition. For the 30th Anniversary, a vast environmental festival was presented in three different venues (Battery Park, Battery Park City and the World Trade Center). For the past seven years, Earth Day New York has hosted EarthFair at Grand Central, a two‐day festival of art, music and the environment on Vanderbilt Avenue and in Vanderbilt Hall inside the majestic Beaux‐Arts Terminal. Earth Day New York is a low-overhead, broadly educational non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that promotes environmental awareness and solutions through a three-pronged program: 1) involving schools, teachers and students through the Earth Day Education Program; 2) educating public and private policymakers through conferences and publications; and 3) involving the general public in annual Earth Day events. More information on Earth Day New York can be found at www.earthdayny.org.
About Hilton Hotels & Resorts
For nearly a century, Hilton Hotels & Resorts has been proudly welcoming the world's travelers. With more than 570 hotels across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts provides the foundation for memorable travel experiences and values every guest who walks through its doors. As the flagship brand of Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts continues to set the standard for hospitality, providing new product innovations and services to meet guests' evolving needs. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is a part of the award-winning Hilton Honors program. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, free standard Wi-Fi and digital amenities like digital check-in with room selection and Digital Key (select locations), available exclusively through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Begin your journey at www.hilton.com and learn more about the brand by visiting news.hilton.com or following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company, with a portfolio of 14 world-class brands comprising more than 5,200 properties with nearly 856,000 rooms in 105 countries and territories. Hilton is dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company by delivering exceptional experiences – every hotel, every guest, every time. The company's portfolio includes Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Curio Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages an award-winning customer loyalty program, Hilton Honors. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose exactly how many Points to combine with money, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else and free standard Wi-Fi. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.