Fact SheetHilton History
Read the news
By Property TypeBy Topic
Get the facts
Hilton HuanyingHilton Blue Papers and Research
- Photos & videos
Let us help you
Media Accommodation Request FormContact Us
Jacqueline ToppingsCONTACTMedia Inquiries ADDRESS7930 Jones Branch Drive
Brand Public Relations,
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
McLean, Virginia 22102
Hilton Americas-Houston First Green Seal Certified Property In Texas
Houston's Largest Hotel Goes Green
August 17, 2010
HOUSTON - Hilton Americas-Houston, the city’s largest hotel, received the unique distinction of becoming the first hotel in the state of Texas to achieve Green Seal certification. Demonstrating environmental leadership in operations and purchasing, the downtown Houston convention hotel reduced their environmental impact and improved sustainability in accordance with stringent guidelines set out by Green Seal in order to obtain the coveted certification. This certification confirms that Hilton Americas-Houston complies with the environmental and performance requirements of the Green Seal Environmental Standard for Lodging Properties – Silver level.
Joining only four other Hilton family hotels in the United States that had thus far achieved Green Seal status, Hilton Americas-Houston underwent an extensive “greening” of the property in 2009 as all team members joined in to reduce the hotel’s overall carbon footprint. To qualify for Green Seal certification, a hotel must demonstrate sustainable practices in the following areas: waste minimization, reuse & recycling; energy efficiency, conservation & management; management of fresh water resources; waste water management; hazardous substances; and environmentally sensitive purchasing. Certification requires an initial evaluation by Green Seal, including an on-site audit of the property, and annual monitoring to ensure ongoing compliance.
Here are just some of the many initiatives now in effect at Hilton Americas-Houston to reduce the hotel’s environmental impact as a Green Seal certified property:
- Recycling plastic, paper and aluminum
- Composting food waste
- Replacing current guest room lighting with energy efficient, Compact Florescent Lighting (CFL)
- Recycling florescent light bulbs
- Reusing copy paper to minimize waste
- Setting copy machines to default to double-sided printing
- Purchasing recycled copy paper
- Giving guests the opportunity to recycle in their guest rooms
- Using 2.2 gpm water conserving faucets, 1.6 gfl water conserving toilets and 2.5 gpm water conserving showerheads
- Using nontoxic and biodegradable cleaning products
- Following an environmental purchasing policy
- Using environmentally responsible suppliers
- Using materials made from post-consumer recycled content
- Replacing disposable food service items with biodegradable items
- Turning off lights in areas that are not occupied
- Installing on/off lighting timers in low traffic and low occupancy areas
- Recycling liquid shortening
- Recycling toner cartridges
- Recycling batteries
- Serving water only on-request in the outlets
- Offering guests the option to reuse towels & linens for multiple nights
- Donating partially used amenities to local shelters
- Replacing equipment, as needed, with Energy Star rated models
- Donating leftover food to local shelters, at customers’ request
In the first few months of Hilton Americas-Houston’s food composting project, approximately 152 cubic yards, about 154 tons, had been shipped to be composted at Nature’s Way, a Houston area company. During the same time frame, 56 tons of cardboard and more than 96,000 gallons each of paper, mixed plastic and metal cans had been recycled. In the past 12 months, 14,000 pounds of kitchen oil has been recycled, for a total of seven tons.
Green Seal, an independent non-profit organization dedicated to safeguarding the environment and transforming the marketplace, promotes the manufacture, purchase and use of environmentally responsible products and services. In partnership since 1995 with the lodging industry, the nation’s second largest employer, the organization provides assistance and expertise to properties working toward certification.
About Hilton Americas-Houston
Directly connected to the George R. Brown Convention Center, Hilton Americas-Houston contains the city’s largest number of guestrooms, ballrooms, hotel meeting space, and the most technologically advanced services available under one roof. Conveniently situated between Toyota Center and Minute Maid Park, this AAA Four Diamond rated hotel boasts 1,200 luxuriously appointed guestrooms, 91,500 square feet of flexible meeting space, two restaurants, a lobby bar, coffee emporium, and full service spa and health club.
About Hilton Hotels & Resorts
For nearly a century, Hilton Hotels & Resorts has been proudly welcoming the world's travelers. With more than 570 hotels across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts provides the foundation for memorable travel experiences and values every guest who walks through its doors. As the flagship brand of Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts continues to set the standard for hospitality, providing new product innovations and services to meet guests' evolving needs. Hilton Hotels & Resorts is a part of the award-winning Hilton Honors program. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, free standard Wi-Fi and digital amenities like digital check-in with room selection and Digital Key (select locations), available exclusively through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Begin your journey at www.hilton.com and learn more about the brand by visiting news.hilton.com or following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.